Scrubs, Gloves & Microscopes
Scrubs, Gloves & Microscopes (SGM) is a “hands-on” health career exploration opportunity for high school students currently in grades 9-12. SGM gives you the opportunity to briefly experience life in a health profession. Each program is about 3 - 4 hours in length. During each SGM session, you will learn from professional school students and professionals in the field, participate in a hands-on experience, and discover important next steps for pursuing the featured career.
See some photos from past SGM events on our HCC Facebook page.
Schedule of Dates
Look here for our schedule of programs and dates. Each year we feature over 10 different health professions to choose from!
Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Since some sessions fill quickly, students are encouraged to submit their application early in the school year. However, registration is not complete until all application materials (and payment) are received by our office.
Group Application Steps
The Health Careers Center will occasionally arrange group visits (calendar-permitting). Programs are fee-based and can be arranged for a ½ day or full day experience. High school classes, hospital-based youth programs, medical explorer groups, and other interested parties can make arrangements to have a health careers exploration experience coordinated by the Health Careers Center at the University of Minnesota. All programming options are contingent upon the availability of our University Academic Health Center partners and final programming decisions are at the discretion of the Health Careers Center.
Groups must be between 25-30 students, with 30 students being the maximum. Please allow at least 4 months planning time to coordinate arrangements for your trip. For more information contact Laura Fyfe at email@example.com or call 612-624-6767.
Individual Student Application Process
To register for a session:
1. Print and sign the Photo Release Form and Lab Permission Form.
2. Have your parent/guardian sign the photo release and lab permission form!
3. Submit the SGM online application. *Online Application for 2012-2013 is now closed. Application for 2013-2014 programs will be available in September 2013.*
4. Mail in the signed Photo Release Form and Lab Permission Form, along with a $40 check for each session to the Health Careers Center.
Mail or fax your completed Photo Release and Lab Permission forms and payment to:
Health Careers Center
U of MN
420 Delaware St SE, MMC 502
Minneapolis, MN 55455
NOTE: Your application is not complete until the HCC receives forms and payment!
5. You will receive a confirmation email and payment receipt within a week of the Health Careers Center receiving your forms, payment, and online application.
6. Two weeks prior to your chosen SGM program, you will receive another email providing parking and drop-off instructions.