Scrubs, Gloves & Microscopes
Scrubs, Gloves & Microscopes (SGM) is a “hands-on” health career exploration opportunity for high school students currently in grades 9-12. SGM gives you the opportunity to briefly experience life in a health profession. Each program is about 3 - 4 hours in length. During each SGM session, you will learn from professional school students and professionals in the field, participate in a hands-on experience, and discover important next steps for pursuing the featured career.
Applying to SGM Programs
The individual student application process is listed at the bottom of this page. Please note that a student's application is not complete until ALL steps listed below have been completed. See the next section below for a link to the schedule of the SGM sessions for 2013 - 2014.
See some photos from past SGM events on our HCC Facebook page.
Schedule of Dates
Look here for our 2013-2014 schedule of programs and dates. Each year we feature over 10 different health professions to choose from! The application process is listed below - see steps listed under 'Individual Student Application Process'.
Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Since some sessions fill quickly, students are encouraged to submit their application early in the school year. However, registration is not complete until all application materials (and payment) are received by our office.
Group Application Steps
The Health Careers Center will occasionally arrange group visits (calendar-permitting). Programs are fee-based and can be arranged for a ½ day or full day experience. High school classes, hospital-based youth programs, medical explorer groups, and other interested parties can make arrangements to have a health careers exploration experience coordinated by the Health Careers Center at the University of Minnesota. All programming options are contingent upon the availability of our University Academic Health Center partners and final programming decisions are at the discretion of the Health Careers Center.
Groups must be between 25-30 students, with 30 students being the maximum. Please allow at least 4 months planning time to coordinate arrangements for your trip. For more information contact Laura Fyfe at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 612-624-6767.
Individual Student Application Process
Please note: You must complete ALL of these application steps in order to have your application considered complete.
To register for a session:
1. Submit the SGM Online Application Survey. Follow this link to complete this step: SGM online application survey.
2. Print and sign the Photo Release Form and Lab Safety Form (found as link under Resources section on the right).
2a. If you are under 18, please have your parent/guardian sign the photo release and lab safety form!
3. Mail in the signed Photo Release Form and Lab Safety Form, along with your program payment ($40 per session) to the Health Careers Center. Please make check out to 'University of Minnesota'.
Mail your completed Photo Release and Lab Safety forms and payment to:
Health Careers Center - UMN
420 Delaware St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
NOTE: Your application is not considered complete until the HCC receives your online survey, forms and payment! You will not receive a confirmation email until all materials have been received by the Health Careers Center.
4. You will receive a confirmation email within two weeks of the Health Careers Center receiving your online application, forms, and payment.
5. One week prior to your chosen SGM program(s), you will receive another email providing detailed parking and drop-off instructions. Please review the SGM FAQ page for general details on program location.