Personal Statements for a Health Program
An Online Workshop to Help You with Your Personal Statement
This online workshop will give you the structure you seek when you are preparing your statement for health professional programs. By completing the exercises, you will have a complete draft of your statement and will have the option to schedule an individualized 30-minute review of your personal statement with a Health Careers Center staff member. Reviews can be completed in-person or by phone.
This workshop is available to everyone, everywhere, at no cost.
- Why admissions committees require personal statements as part of the application
- Strategies for deciding what to include in your statement
- How to present yourself and your experience in the best light
- How/if to address extenuating circumstances in your statement
- Several writing and reflection exercises for identifying your goals, strengths, weaknesses, and motivation
Please note that we are only able to review one draft statement per appointment. If you have made significant revisions to your essay after submitting your draft, please contact the Health Careers Center front desk to reschedule your appointment 24 hours in advance. Also, please note that we are unable to accommodate requests for reviews of supplemental/secondary essays.
At the conclusion of this workshop, there are instructions for scheduling a follow-up appointment with a PHSRC career counselor to review your personal statement draft.
The comments and feedback provided during the “Personal Statement Critique”, "Action Planning", or similar sessions are provided for informational purposes only; the Pre-Health Student Resource Center makes no guarantees or warranties, either expressed or implied, regarding admissions decisions by any academic program, including those at the University of Minnesota. While we make every effort to provide accurate and current information, it is the recipient’s responsibility to consult with relevant admissions personnel to learn about admissions requirements and prerequisites.
- Information Sessions
- Online Workshops
- Health Careers Fair
- Health Professional School Expo
- First-Gen Pre-Health Workshop Series